Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Cutest Plarn Grocery/Beach Bag

Finally after much delay due to the many illnesses on behalf of my family, I return to my blog with my promised plarn grocery/beach bag pattern. This bag is huge which makes it great beach bag, but it can definitely be used as a very durable grocery bag. I love this plarn bag because it is especially cute. Considering that the average plarn bag is either white or tan, The ribbon embellishment adds a great pop of color. This pattern is perfect for tomorrow, which is Earth Day, so give Mother Nature a huge fist bump and make plans to make this bag.

Here's what you'll need:

1. Plarn and lots of it (200 grocery bags worth to be safe. If you don't have 200 grocery bags to make plarn don't go to the grocery store to get it. That will defeat the purpose of recycling. Ask your friends and family. I am sure grandma has millions stashed somewhere. For a tutorial on how to make plarn here is a link to my previous post:
2. Crochet Hook Size H/5.5mm
3. Red Ribbon: 7/8" width I took about 4-5 skeins of it.
5. 4 Stitch Markers or Safety Pins or Paper clips to keep your space.
6. Safety Pins to attach skeins of ribbon
6. Needle and red thread (or whatever colored thread to match your ribbon)

Here's the Pattern:

To begin, you construst the base:

Ch 36.
Row 1-13: Sc into each of the 36 ch, ch 1, and turn.
Row 14: Sc into the next 35 sc, 3 sc in the next sc at the end of the row (i.e. 36 sc st) (This makes the corner, sc in the sts that make up the width of the bag (about 12 sc), 3 in the last stitch that makes up the width (this will make the corner) Now you are on the other side of the length of the base where you originally chained 36. Sc in each of the next 35 st, 3 sc in the next sc at the end of the row (i.e. 36 ch st) (This will again make the 3rd corner), sc in the sts that make up the width of the bag (about 12 sc), 3 in the last stitch that makes the width and slip stitch to join the beginning row.

Now on to constructing the body of the bag:

Row 15: Ch 1, sc in the BL only in each sc in the round. Sl st to join rnd.
Row 16: Ch 1, sc in both loops in each sc in the round. Sl st to join rnd.
Row 17,21,25,29,33,37: Ch 3 (counts 1 dc), dc in both loops in each sc in the rnd. Sl to join rnd.
Row 18,22,26,30,34,38: Ch 1, sc in both loops in each dc in the rnd. Sl St to join rnd.
Row 19,23,27,31,35: Ch 4 (counts as 1 dc and ch 1), skip sc, *dc in the next sc, ch 1, skip the next sc,** repeat * to ** 54 x, sl st to join rnd.
Row 20,24,28,32,36: ch 1, sc in each sp in the rnd. Sl st to join rnd.

Lastly, how to construct the shoulder straps for the bag:

Preparation for placement of straps: Lay the bag flat. Measure 5" in on the right and left end of the bag and mark with a stitch marker or a safety pin. Do this on the other side of the bag as well. The 5" marker is the middle of each strap. This will mean you will have 4 stitch markers in all (two on each side of the bag) Crochet the the straps to the following pattern:
*Row 1: Sl st into the sc that 2.5" from the end of the bag and the stitch marker.Ch 1, sc in the next 7 sc. (You will have to take out yout stitch marker when you do this, but you will no longer to need on this end of the bag).
Row 2: 1 ch, sc in the next 3 sc, ch 1, skip next sc, sc in the next 3 sc.
Odd numbered Rows: Sc in the next sc.
Even number Rows: ch, sc in the next 3 sc, ch 1, skip next sc, sc in the next 3 sc.
You will have to repeat the even and odd numbered rows until you have 77 rows in total. Sc the strap to the other end of the bag on the same side of the bag making sure that the middle of the strap is at the place where the other st marker is. Remove the stitch marker if it is the way. I know that sounds funny but that is the only way I can describe it. I might have to illustrate with pictures at some point.** Repeat from * to ** for the other side of the bag.

Adding the Ribbon Embellishment

You'll that you created gaps in the body of the bag for rows 19,23,27,31,35. This is where your ribbon will go.
Step 1: I safetypin my ribbon to the place where I start to creat some tension. Weave from outside to the inside in the gaps horizontally. If the ribbon fills up the gap on one row move your ribbon up without cutting. Trust me don't cut anything because if you mess up you will have stitch the ribbon up later. Do this until all the gaps are filled in in the body of the bag. When you run out of a skein saftey pin the end of one skein to the beginning of the new skein of ribbon.
Step 2: Once you are happy with the placement of the ribbon, cut off the remaining ribbon that did not get weaved in. Hand stitch where you put safetypins were that connected the ribbon.
Step 3: Hand stitch with a needle and thread the ribbon to inside of the bag only. You don't want the red thread to show up on the outside of the bag at the ends of the ribbon. You don't need to stitch long the route of the ribbon.
The ribbon embellishment for straps are made the same way, except you won't need to safety pin the ribbon as you will only need one skein for both straps. Sew the ribbon into the inside of the straps at the ends only

Take this beautiful bag with you to grocery for one-stop/one-bag shopping. Or go to the beach with all the towels, sunscreen. bottled water, and snacks that you cram into this huge bag!

66 comments:

  1. Great bag! I love the use of the ribbon with the plan. Thanks also for the pattern. :)
    ______
    Lee Ann H
    Crochet...Gotta Love It! Blog
    Crochet...Gotta Love It! Website (crochet names and rosary patterns)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee Ann, Thank you so much for reading my blog. Yeah, I think with plarn it needs pieces of flair to really make it pop. That's cool that you have Rosary patterns on your blog.I will definitely have to check that out. God bless and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I LOVE your bag!!! I was wondering what the measurements of the finished product is? I don't see it anywhere, and if it is there then my brain must be telling me to go to bed, lol. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right there are no measurements. When laying flat, the bag is 17" long X 22" wide. The straps measure approximately 26" each. However, this is all determined by what your gauge is, so it will be a little bigger or smaller depending on your tension and how wide you make your plarn. I glad you are enjoying the pattern. I will be posting some more patterns next month. Thanks for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really smart idea! I don't see the link to your prior post on making plarn--I hope it is still available!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find it either - so I folded my bags vertically and made 1 1/2 inch strips which were more like loops after cut then I stuck one end of the loop through the other (which gave me a double strand) and that's how I did it. As to whether or not that is right, well who knows.

      Delete
  6. My grandma used plastic bread bags to make rug for the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am trying to figure out how to make the plarn. What a cute bag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE THIS!!

    She said you can find "How to make plarn" on her previous post....:)

    http://thecrochetfoyer.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-make-plarn.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. JGlock, Country Life is Good posted my link for how to make plarn.

    Anonymous, It is totally worth it especially if you use different colors you can make a really awesome rug. Also you can make a scrubby for pots and pans using plarn is well.

    To the other Anonymous, plarn is super easy to make. My recommendation is to acquire a lot of plastic bags. Ask your family members and friends for their plastic bags. I am sure they would be glad to oblige.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also thank you JGlock for posting the link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What is a BL???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BL is an abbreviation, which means to crochet only in to the Back Loop only of the previous row. It often creates the illusion of a lip or seam. Also in other projects you will see the abbrev. FL which means Front Loop only. In other words, when you single or double crochet usually you put your hook through the top of two loops of the previous row. However, when you crochet in the Back Loop or Front Loop only, it changes up the look of the stitch.

      Delete
  12. how do you do the bags? to crochet do you cut into small strands or use as a whole bag? if you cut into strands hot big and wide are they? please help because I would love to make this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link on how to make plarn: http://thecrochetfoyer.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-make-plarn.html

      Delete
  13. Thank you so much for the great pattern! I can't wait to make one to take on vacation this year! I have asuggestion for getting plastic bags. I get alot of my bags from the recycle bin at the front of our local supermarket. It's filled with bags that people return instead of throwing them in the trash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. super great idea for finding bags. I will most definitely be making good use of these bags.

      Delete
    2. I did that too! I was in a "higher end" of town running another errand so I stopped by a grocery that I knew had the recycle bin. I completely SCORED by finding at least 45 RED bags and another 30 BLACK! So my 1st project was a red/white/black purse...very happy with it :-)

      Delete
  14. I have a questions on :
    Row 20,24,28,32,36: ch 1, sc in each sp in the rnd.
    This will result in decreasing the size of the bag quite a bit. Did you mean sc in each sc and in each sp in the rnd?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I will have to adjust that. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. How should we adjust those rows?

      Delete
  15. I saw a lady at the airport once that was making a similar bag out of old VCR tape. It facitanted me but I have never tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this idea!

      Delete
    2. just curious, does the VHS tape make hands dirty? very interesting idea....tons of old VHS tapes at garage sales for a very cheap price!

      Delete
    3. I read the chemicals in VCR tape could be bad...can remember what they were but they sounded scary :-)

      Delete
    4. that is good to know - I was going to try that too and now I wont' bother. I have a ton of old VCR tapes, but then I still watch them.

      Delete
  16. How do you prepare the bags to crochet them? The directions don't explain it.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link of my previous post on how to make plarn: http://thecrochetfoyer.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-make-plarn.html

      Delete
    2. I love the pattern Iam going to try it. Ijust start crocheting this and i just love.Evelyn nixon

      Delete
  17. Jennifer, I recently found your previous blog about the plarn bag, without the base. I love the pattern, and started to make it. It is taking a bit longer than I thought it would, but partly because I started it bigger than you suggested. Also, it is taking WAY more plarn than what you said it might!!! But all is well, I happen to have plenty of plastic grocery bags!!! Also, I did notice that you forgot to mention one thing on your tutorial on how to make the plarn. And that is, that you have to cut the bottem seem off as well as the handles!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What is a PLARN, please?

    I am guessing it is a combination of plastic and yarn.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here are links to what plarn is and how to make it. The first is why and what plarn is and the second link is how to make it: http://thecrochetfoyer.blogspot.com/2012/03/why-plarn.html
      http://thecrochetfoyer.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-make-plarn.html

      Delete
  19. Jennifer, Thank you for posting this pattern, it's a great bag and very pretty. It would be wonderful to make some of these to use at the grocery store instead of the traditional bags.
    Thank you too, for posting the link showing how to make plarn. It's very helpful. Have a great day, keep up the beautiful work! God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so excited to start this! I LOVE that you added ribbon. This will be my camping project, I can sit with the kids at the pool and it won't matter if I get splashed! Thanks so much for sharing this pattern <3
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think this is the first plarn bag I have ever actually liked! Great job! I would LOVE if you would link up to my new link party for the fiber arts!
    http://www.mymerrymessylife.com/2012/06/new-link-party-hookin-on-hump-day-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jennifer, this is an unbelievably-sweet pattern. I couldn't WAIT to get started. My Plarn was an inch-and-a-half-plus wide, so using an 'H' hook just wouldn't do it; I had to use a 'K' hook, but my measurements turned out to be about the same as yours. 'Huh?' I'm just starting the straps now. My question is, 'Did you use a waterproof ribbon, or could I just use a grosgrain ribbon? That's what I would like, but I don't know if all ribbon is colorfast. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually I didn't use a waterproof ribbon. I just used regular ribbon that one would use in a wreath. I discourage people from actually using ribbon with wire in it because it can start looking gnarly after awhile. This is an excellent point about colorfast ribbon. I didn't even think of that. That is good to note. Thank you!

      Delete
  23. What a great pattern. Love the idea. This is a great idea for gift giving. Can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super fun! and great for the environment.

      Delete
  24. I'm kinda new to crochet, on the 3rd row where you say; sc in the sts that make up the width of the bag (about 12 sc)? I'm not understanding where the width of the bag? Thanks for the help! I am only using a single ply plarn, so hope that will work?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your pattern and plan to make it. Can you tell me how many yards of ribbon I need to buy? Thanks for your help. Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  26. this is SO stinkin' CUTE! It's my NEXT project :-) I also really think the ribbon, aside from making the bag for fashionable, will also hold it's shape better because the ribbon won't stretch, right? TY for taking the time to POST the pattern, TYTYTYTYTY!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I made several of these and everyone does tell me to sell them! Do you have any more plarn patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I made this as a purse and used plastic canvas inside to strengten it. It came out realy nice and does really hold it's shape.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the pattern, Jennifer!!

    Emilia....check myrecycledbags.com for loads of plarn & other patterns for vcr tapes & T-shirts.

    I've made oodles of VCR clutches & totes and not experienced anything from a chemical nature. I usually use 1 strand of fun fur or textured yarn with the 2 vcr strands to add more structure & security.

    ReplyDelete
  30. All that will print for me are the pictures. How do I access the pattern & directions for the plarn bag?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I solved the printing issue. I copied & pasted the patterns into a word processing document and it worked that way, but I couldn't print from this page....FYI

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks so pretty and cheery. I think Target bags would be perfect for this since they are red and white and I adore the ribbon embellishment.
    All I can say is that this is one fine looking bag!

    I've never tried anything like this before, but I pinned it, because I think one day I just might:)
    Thanks for the beautiful inspiration - it is so nice of you to answer the all the commenters questions too. It is the only reason I ever sign up for a blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am that you like it! It does take a little work, but it is a fun and affordable project that is great for the environment.

      Delete
  33. This has to be the cutest plarn bag I've come across yet. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I can't wait to start making plarn bags. My niece will love one for a market bag.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am doing an entrepreunership at my school and I was wondering if I could make these bags and sell them. Is that okay with you?

    ReplyDelete
  36. If you're trying to save the pattern.... try copying the pattern and pasting it into an email and sending it to yourself!! Don't forget to name the email, so you don't have to open them all to find the 1 you want!

    You won't have to worry about losing the pattern due to computer crashes and you can access it as many times as you like! I have a file saved in my email with patterns that have been there for many years!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello,

    The ladies at my church are making market bags to sell so that we can support the effort of the Lizotte family in Alberta, Canada, who are fostering as many native children as they can who have been removed from their homes on the reserve. These children have been removed due to abuse and neglect, and many of them are dealing with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome as well. All the money we get for our bags will go directly to the Lizotte family. NO MONEY will go to our church or our ladies who worked to make the bags. All our time and materials are our donation. The cost of living in northern Alberta, near the Indian reserves, is very high and they need many diapers and formula, etc.

    Would you be willing to let us use your Cutest Plarn Grocery Bag pattern in the interest of helping the Lizottes also? We are more than willing to credit you for the pattern/design however you would desire. Please email me at megcwheeler@hotmail.com with your response. Thank you for your consideration.

    Hopefully,
    Meg Wheeler

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi, another way to make a cool recycled bag from old plastic grocery bags is to cut them so they all lay flat, stack several on top of each other, then Iron, must have a paper bag to sandwich the plastic in between, so it wont stick to iron or ironing board, then cool, take out and cut in the shape you want for your bag. make several "sheets and sew together, use regular fabric with it . Using colored plastic bags looks good too, use the words to spell stuff out, like green, fresh, less, fruit, any words or colors on the bag will make it look cool... give it a try its fun and easy and makes a very strong bag..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your ironing technique sounds really interesting...is there any way you can show an example, or do you have any already posted?

      Also, Jennifer I am extremely new to blogs and I hope I am not out of line asking the above. Your patterns are awesome.

      Delete
  39. Great idea (I'm 100% for recycling) and it looks absolutely cool!!! Starting to collect the bags right now, already got the ribbon, sure I'll have it ready for THIS summer. Thanks for teaching us...so happy to have 'discovered' you :) Big hug and two kisses -the Spanish way, you know

    ReplyDelete
  40. I know I'm 3 years late, but I'm getting ready to try this today! I have my plarn done and am gonna start on the pattern - thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  41. Like you Judi, I'm behind also.
    Hope I can figure out row 14. Haven't gotten to work row 14, but the way I'm reading it, it seems like you have left out a corner increase.
    Ouorch is making bags and mats for the homeless.
    I'm always looking for different styles.

    ReplyDelete
  42. You are very creative, the bag is gorgeous. I'm ready to begin. Do you where I can collect or purchase black bag, they are hard to fine? Thx for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. The bag is lovely. Ribbons make it stronger as well as cuter. Where do you get plastic bags with so much printing on them? Mostly mine show just a little color...except for Dollar General bags, which are YELLOW!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Woah! first of all, I must congratulate you or your skill and for sharing that technique to everyone! It will help many girls to wear great beach bags at their vacations!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Website paling ternama dan paling terpercaya di Asia ^^
    Sistem pelayanan 24 Jam Non-Stop bersama dengan CS Berpengalaman respon tercepat :) Memiliki 9 Jenis game yang sangat digemari oleh seluruh peminat poker / domino


    Bandar Poker Terpercaya
    Agen Poker Pkv Terpercaya
    Agen Poker Deposit Pulsa
    Agen Poker pkv Terbaik
    Pkv Games
    Agen Poker Pkv Deposit Pulsa
    Agen Poker Online Banyak Bonusnya
    Agen Bandar Poker Pkv
    AGEN POKER ONLINE TERPERCAYA POKERVVIP

    ReplyDelete